If a bad storm is on the way, it’s important to take steps to protect your home from electrical damage. Unfortunately, you can’t help if lightning strikes your home. That’s why is critical that you know what to do if your home receives electrical storm damage. The residential electricians near you at Palmetto Electrical Contractors in Rock Hill, SC can help. Here are some dos and don’ts to follow if your home should suffer electrical damage from a storm:
Here some important steps you should take immediately following electrical storm damage:
- Unplug all machinery and appliances that were affected by the electrical disruption.
- Jot down all the devices, machinery, and appliances that were damaged in the storm.
- Take pictures or video of the damage.
- File an insurance claim.
- Contact residential electrical contractors near you to inspect your home for hidden damage.
Make sure you avoid doing these things at all costs:
- Moving or throwing away damaged items without first letting your insurance company document the extent of the damage.
- Attempting to handle repairs on your own. Electrical repair work requires extensive experience and training. If you’ve never performed electrical repairs, now is not the time to start. Don’t put yourself in danger; call a professional for electric services instead.
- Not calling an electrician right away. After an electrical storm, it’s always wise to call an electrician to inspect your home for signs of damage. It’s for your safety.
When you need help from residential electricians near you, call Palmetto Electrical Contractors. Our Rock Hill, SC electricians will take care of all your electrical needs.